Dearest Patients & Friends,
I hope this finds you staying healthy and somewhat sane as we hunker down in these critical weeks of COVID. I wanted to reach out and give a few wellness tips that we all can use to aid in the boosting of our immune systems during this time, along with some seasonal allergy support as we enter this beautiful blooming spring.
Chinese medicine has long been utilized in the prevention, treatment and recovery from pandemics. During this time, I have been closely monitoring treatment strategies that have been used in China since late December, 2019 for the Coronavirus, and have gleaned some incredibly useful protocols from colleagues on the frontlines in China.
In addition, the Ministry of Science and Technology in China has reported that more than 80% of ALL patients in Wuhan treated with the Coronavirus (more than 65,000 patients) received both herbal and acupuncture treatment along with Western medical protocols, with excellent results.
To prepare, I have been fortifying my Chinese herbal and supplemental pharmacy with these protocols in mind. I have had great success in helping numerous patients prevent, treat and recover from illness over these last several weeks, thus reminding us of the power and efficacy this medicine provides.
Along with Chinese herbal remedies, I have culled several supplemental suggestions from a few holistic doctors (both medical and naturopathic doctors) whom I trust and revere in their work with immunocompromised patients. Please reach out if you’ve got questions or want to work on a customized treatment plan for you.
Top 10 list of ways to support your immune system:
1. Eliminate or greatly decrease sugar and alcohol consumption
2. Zinc 30mg/day with food (for children, 10mg/day)
3. Vitamin C 1000mg 3x’s daily (for children, 250-500mg/day)
4. Vitamin D3 5000 iu/day with food (for children, 2000 iu daily)
5. Vitamin A 50,000 iu/day with food (for children, 5,000 iu/day)
6. Antiviral Herbs (choose 2-3 from the list below and rotate)
- Oregano oil, 300mg/day
- Quercetin, 500mg 3x’s daily
- Isatis, 120 drops (6ml) 2x’s daily
- Houttynia, 120 drops (6ml) 2x’s daily
- Elderberrry, 120 drops (6ml) 2x’s daily
- Olive leaf in capsule form, 500mg 2x’s daily
- Licorice, 120 drops (6ml) 2x’s daily
7. A High-Potency Probiotic – 100 billion CFU (Remember! Immunity begins in the gut! Weird, eh?)
8. Mushrooms – Rich in anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory compounds, they’re a powerful and natural way to boost your overall immune function. Look for: Turkey Tail, Maitake, Reishi, Cordyceps Militaris. OM Mushroom and Host Defense MycoShield are both reputable brands.
9. Allergy Support – Your histamine response is directly linked to your immune system. If your immunity is strong, you’re likely to have a milder reaction to the spring and summer blooms. Here are a few allergy-specific supplements to add to your arsenal (some are on the immunity list above): Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Quercetin, Nettles, Bromelain, Local honey (2-3tsps/day).
10. Meditate – Sitting for 20 minutes/day has huge impacts on your overall health and wellbeing. See here for a Harvard study. A few great mediation apps: Insight Timer, Calm, Headspace, Buddify, Sattva, etc. A few of my favorite teachers are: Tara Brach, Jack Kornfield, Sarah Blondin and David Ji.
Visit my Fullscript page where you will have access to these (and many other!) supplements you might need. It’s easy! Just make an account, and find my recommendations listed under “Catalog > Categories.” There you will find my personal favorites for Allergy Support, Children’s Support, Immune Support, Prenatal/Postpartum Support and Women’s Health Support.
Please feel free to reach out if you want more information, or need help in navigating any of these tips.
In health and well-being,
Cameron Elmendorf, L.Ac., MSOM